My ridiculously cool neighbor is watching my kids this summer and asked them to come up with a “Blue Sky List.” Huh?
A Blue Sky List, I found out, is all the things you’d like to do in a summer. Doesn’t that sound divine? And 10X better than a to-do or bucket list?
So, my daughter came up with …
1. nona’s house (Nona is my neighbor’s mom and has a pool. Love Nona.)
3. look at Bull Dogs (Fiberglass bull dogs painted by local artists for auction at end of summer. They’re pretty cool.)
4. ice cream
5. ride bikes
6. play outside
7. make forts
9. movies on rainy days
10. nelson lake (A favorite spot for hikes)
11. go out for lunch
12. put put golf
14. sleep overs
15. climb trees
16. bike ride
And my son came up with …
2. stick and puck (More hockey. Ouch on the pocketbook.)
7. play at pool
8. jump on the tramp (Next-door neighbors have a trampoline that’s been a bit hit)
9. have a good summer
10. eating contest
11. have sleepovers
12. play minute to win it
13. mini golf
14. ride bikes
15. hang out
What’s cool about these lists is that they’re pretty similar to what I would have come up with in the late 1970s when I was 10. (I didn’t know about “Minute to Win It” or have a neighbor with a pool or trampoline, so they’ve one-upped me there.)
All this list-making got me thinking Blue Sky. Here’s what I’ve got on my summer radar:
1. Go to our local outdoor French Market
2. Jump on a train to Chicago with my kids/husband for cultural events, and drag them all to Armitage Ave. boutiques.
3. Walk to our downtown ice cream shop and library, but not in that order
4. Eat Salt Water Taffy (the more chocolate pieces the better)
5. Make S’mores over a campfire, but try out different candy bars, like Ghirardelli, Cadbury, or Ritter Sport bars (maybe even take it a step further and try out different marshmallows, like StrawMallows or chocolate-bottomed Peeps)
6. Swiming, anywhere
7. Write about candy, on my front porch
I’m a simpleton, so if I achieve at least five of these items, I’m calling Summer 2011 bombdiggity.
What’s on your Blue Sky List?