https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzPtLYumFSo Our friends the Candy Gurus tried out some new S’mores ideas in preparation for S’mores Day on August 10th!
Posts Tagged ‘Summer’
Summer officially kicks off on June 20, and we’re ready to party … with candy (of course)! Fresh from the Sweets & Snacks EXPO in Chicago, our candy buyer, Rita Cummings, shares 4 hot candy trends with serious
staying sticking power.
1. Colored Marshmallows
Single-color marshmallows (a.k.a. pure fluff ) are ideal for candy buffets because they look beautiful in a glass apothecary jar and work well with other candies. They’re also fun to roast around a campfire. What 10-year-old (or 40-something) wouldn’t want a blue, pink, green, or yellow S’more?
Shake up things up s’more by swapping out the classic Hershey Bar with a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, Rolos, Cookies ‘n Cream Bar, or Ghirardelli Squares. Or make Rice Krispie Treats with pink marshmallows and sprinkle on hot pink and green M&M’s. It’s summer. Have fun. Go color crazy!
2. Unique Candy Toppings for Ice Cream
Sure, hot fudge sundaes will always be cool, but a DIY ice cream sundae bar with unique toppings like Mini Gummy Bears, Petite Pastel Nonpareils, Penguin Gummies, Mini Sugared Cupcake Gummies, Single-Color Sixlets and Pearls … that’s hot!
3. Cherry-Flavored Candy
If you’re a cherry lover, this could be your best summer ever. Candy & Snack TODAY magazine’s May/June 2012 story, Capitalizing on Cherry Candy, details continued consumer interest in cherry-flavored candy. In the story, Jelly Belly’s John Pola, vice president of specialty sales, sums it best, “People are attracted to red. It doesn’t matter what mix you have; the reds always go first, and in many instances that red is cherry.” Amen.
4. Still Sizzling: Salt Water Taffy
Based on soaring Salt Water Taffy sales at Candy.com and its use in candy buffets, this is one candy category that’s going to have another great summer. And, it’s not just Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry taffy getting all the attention. Exotic flavors like Huckleberry, Pomegranate, and Oranges & Creme are winning at checkout with event planners, brides, and traditional consumers planning warm-weather parties. Salt Water Taffy is one of those candies that transcends age, comes in a bazillion colors and flavors, holds up in warm weather, and isn’t expensive. For party planners, this is what dreams are made of.
p.s. - Today, May 23, is National Taffy Day! Let the chew fest begin …
Update! The winner of the “Candies That Scream Summer” contest is Pam Reiser.
Pam says that the candies that reminder her most of summer are … “Sweet and Sour Charm pops! When my brother played baseball in the summer. I would always get a charms pop at the stand!”
Congrats Pam and thanks to everyone who participated. Have a great summer!
In celebration of those people and this first day of Summer 2011, I invite you to answer my burning question:
“What candies remind you of summer?”
My ridiculously cool neighbor is watching my kids this summer and asked them to come up with a “Blue Sky List.” Huh?
A Blue Sky List, I found out, is all the things you’d like to do in a summer. Doesn’t that sound divine? And 10X better than a to-do or bucket list?
So, my daughter came up with …
1. nona’s house (Nona is my neighbor’s mom and has a pool. Love Nona.)
3. look at Bull Dogs (Fiberglass bull dogs painted by local artists for auction at end of summer. They’re pretty cool.)
4. ice cream
5. ride bikes
6. play outside
7. make forts
9. movies on rainy days
10. nelson lake (A favorite spot for hikes)
11. go out for lunch
12. put put golf
14. sleep overs
15. climb trees
16. bike ride
And my son came up with …
2. stick and puck (More hockey. Ouch on the pocketbook.)
7. play at pool
8. jump on the tramp (Next-door neighbors have a trampoline that’s been a bit hit)
9. have a good summer
10. eating contest
11. have sleepovers
12. play minute to win it
13. mini golf
14. ride bikes
15. hang out
What’s cool about these lists is that they’re pretty similar to what I would have come up with in the late 1970s when I was 10. (I didn’t know about “Minute to Win It” or have a neighbor with a pool or trampoline, so they’ve one-upped me there.)
All this list-making got me thinking Blue Sky. Here’s what I’ve got on my summer radar:
1. Go to our local outdoor French Market
2. Jump on a train to Chicago with my kids/husband for cultural events, and drag them all to Armitage Ave. boutiques.
3. Walk to our downtown ice cream shop and library, but not in that order
4. Eat Salt Water Taffy (the more chocolate pieces the better)
5. Make S’mores over a campfire, but try out different candy bars, like Ghirardelli, Cadbury, or Ritter Sport bars (maybe even take it a step further and try out different marshmallows, like StrawMallows or chocolate-bottomed Peeps)
6. Swiming, anywhere
7. Write about candy, on my front porch
I’m a simpleton, so if I achieve at least five of these items, I’m calling Summer 2011 bombdiggity.
What’s on your Blue Sky List?