With this fun Father’s Day favor idea, everybody gets a chance to pretend that they’re a Dad for a day with a great stache and a bow tie to boot. Just pair these gourmet Candy Mustaches from the Melville Candy Company, and these easy-to-do paper bow ties. They’re sure to create some great snaps at your Fathers’ Day celebration
For this project you’ll need:
Double Sided Tape
Small hole punch or x acto knife
Craftpaper of your choice
- First you need to make the template that you will use for all your ties. Cut a piece of cardstock that is 8 in long and 2 and 1/4 in wide.
- Fold the paper once in half, and then fold the outer corners back to the original fold, like an accordion.
- Mark the width of the tie into thirds (¾ in) with your pencil and extend your marks 3/8 into the paper. This will become the middle of the tie that wraps around the stick.
- With the scissors, follow the 3/8 inch marks on the paper and then angle toward the opposite corners. You can make a straight diagonal cut for a more angular, sharp tie, or give it a curve for a softer effect.
- Unfold the paper, and now you have your bow tie template. Trace this shape on the back of your craft paper to create the final ties, and cut them out.
- Once you have your craft paper ties cut, take your lollipop and mark where you want the tie to go. We found that roughly 2.5 in from the bottom of the mustache worked well, but you may want less if you are making these for Munchkins or more if you’re inviting the Harlem Globe Trotters over.
- Wrap around your mark with three or four layers of double sided tape. Do not wrap just around the stick, but extend the tape out about a half inch long on each side, like wings. This will give your tie more to stick to.
- Place the lollipop stick across the center of your tie. Then, fold in the ends so that they meet. Press the middle and ends into the tape to secure. You should now see the basic shape of your tie on the stick.
- The last step is to create the middle part of the tie that wraps around the center. Cut a length craft paper that is ¾ inch wide and 2 ½ inch long.
- Fold the strip into thirds, with both ends going into the center.
- Unfold and hold the paper vertically, looking at the pattern as you want it to be seen. Directly underneath the bottom fold, use the hole punch or x acto knife to punch a hole. It should be in center, width-wise.
- On the top fold, mark across the center a line as wide as the lollipop stick. Then cut down from the top on either side of the line, and then along that line. The result should be two tabs, like rabbit ears on the top of the paper.
- Next, place the lollipop stick through the punched hole, putting the middle portion of the strip facing the front of the tie. Bring it up, until the bottom crease of the strip is against the bottom of the tie.
- Fold the two tabs at the top down across the back, with the lollipop stick going between them.
- Place a piece of double sided tape across the two tabs and fold the bottom third with the hole punch up toward them.
- Press firmly together and you should now have your Mustache and Bow Tie combo!